Monday, December 29, 2014

Carolyn Gregory's prayer for cats

from Carolyn Gregory, Jamaica Plain MA

Bill, I called Peter Bates to let him know about Reggie's death, too.

Here is a poem I wrote a while ago about the "dead cats" I have known and loved. 

So sorry about your loss. 

Poem follows. 

PRAYER FOR THE CATS

On a spring day, I prayed for a cat
going into decline,
his paws unable to hoist the bones,
even his voice stretched thin.

Then I framed a golden cat
on my wall, focusing imagination
on the grace of a striped animal
prowling the savannah.

I have groomed the long haired Himalayan,
played hide and seek as my red tabby
jumped at my ankles,
full of glee.

No doubt my prayers for cats go deep
in April when the Siamese died twenty years ago
and we buried him in rainy earth.

When I am alone at night,
the cat ghosts come and guard my bed,
their eyes shining green lamps
in the darkness.
I gather them close.

--Carolyn Gregory, published in Bellowing Ark

No comments: